Googleplus
TAGS:  vintage1940sclassicdress
sailerc
New_user sailerc is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When sailerc reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
sailerc

so i’m in love with this dress i found on etsy but it’s pretty 1940’s looking. is there a way to modernize it, or would it just look like a costume if i wore it out?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/120199343/vintage-1940s-to-1950s-dress-brown-tan?ref=usr_faveitems

posted over 6 years ago
DelightfulDecember
Style_council
DelightfulDe...

Fashion recycles, and certain clothes from the 21st century holds up pretty well. Some of the business clothes women wore in the 80s were partially inspired by 40s/ 50s dresses. Just wear this dress as it is and you should be fine. I’m sure if you style your and hair in a certain wear and if you apply nude-ish make-up, chances are you will probably end up looking very contemporary.

posted over 6 years ago

adriennee
Style_council
adriennee

Love the dress! Just to add to what Delightful said, your choice of footwear can also make all the difference. I would avoid boots above the ankle (with the longer hemline, there might a certain frump-factor ), and kitten heels/flats. Something a little grunge, or super sleek can balance out the more classic silhouette you have going on on top. Personally, I think these would pair well with it, without distracting from the main feature.

posted over 6 years ago

Crystal94305
Style_council
Crystal94305

You can open a few buttons and roll up the sleeves to modernize it. Pairing it with sandals would also make it look more relaxed, more casual, and thus more contemporary. Here are more ideas about how to pull off a shirt dress: www.crystaltai.com/node/22

posted over 6 years ago

KimGirard
Style_council
KimGirard

It’s definitely vintage. There is no denying it but that does not mean you cannot wear it and rock it. Although the dress may be from a different time, your hair styling, accessories, makeup and shoes do not have to be.

posted over 6 years ago

Nessbow
New_user Nessbow is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When Nessbow reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Nessbow

That dress is gorgeous, but I can see why you’d have reservations about wearing it. The good news is that it’s so easy to wear vintage items in a modern way. If you want to avoid looking like you’re trying to recreate a 40’s look, I’d stay away from vintage hairstyles or makeup. Instead, keep your makeup natural and fresh, perhaps focussing on the eyes. Wearing the dress with an unexpected shoe, such as a modern heel with a strong shape, would help to pull it into the 21st century.

posted over 6 years ago

clolow
Style_council
clolow

No the dress is absolutely gorgeous and looks so chic compared to some of the rubbish you find in the shops today. Sometimes you have to realise that fashion isn’t about trends and you can be fashionable in your own way by wearing what you like.

posted over 6 years ago

lycheestyle
Style_council
lycheestyle

I personally think it would only look good as a costume for a play. You would probably be better off buying a new dress in the same color rather than trying to alter the hemline or neckline.

lycheestyle.blogspot.com

posted over 6 years ago

RachelleBush3209
New_user RachelleBush3209 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When RachelleBush3209 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
RachelleBush...

I think this dress is amazing! don’t pass it up.. I think a pair of nice heels will make it look completely contemporary

posted over 6 years ago

TaylaBrewer
New_user TaylaBrewer is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When TaylaBrewer reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
TaylaBrewer

Cool dress but as the other girls said, it is very much “vintage” and might not fit in everywhere. You’ll have to accessorize it properly for sure.

posted over 6 years ago

debiparna_c
Style_council
debiparna_c

it sold on 27th may..wish i could see it..

posted over 6 years ago

LyssBlondish
Style_council
LyssBlondish

not really…

posted over 6 years ago

amorphous_face
Style_council
amorphous_face

Sorry it sold because it was fantastic and if you wear costumes everyday people will get used to it and will be disappointed when you don’t.

posted over 6 years ago

MadamePoupee
Style_council
MadamePoupee

for me it;s too vintage but it’s your style! Dear, you can everything!

posted over 6 years ago

Metric
Style_council
Metric

No way, it’s super cute!

posted about 6 years ago

izzy099
New_user izzy099 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When izzy099 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
izzy099

It’s a lovely dress! To wear it out you should try altering and accessorizing it. If you like the vintage look, then be daring!

posted about 6 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password