Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Memosne
Style_council
Memosne

What does everybody think of fashion blogs? Are they narcissistic? Arrogant? Great? Unique? What do you think it takes to become “successful”? What is successful?

It seems like for every one successful fashion blog there is a great big slew of failures. What does everyone think of the “You.0” trend? Vloggers, bloggers, and user generated media is trending upward in every facet of information delivering sources. What new turns will the information revolution take and what is your opinion on them?

I’m curious to see what everybody thinks. =)

posted about 9 years ago
artyaffair
Style_council
artyaffair

i like reading varying opinions so i guess what i like most about fashion blogs is when they give me a new point of view.

my own , though with the aim of gathering more followers just for the fun of it ( & maybe i could use the blog when i wanna enter an arts school, who knows? ), is mainly for recording my own outfits, things i’m currently into or simply stuff i love that i can’t afford that i feel deserves some kind of extra recognition for some reasons. that said, i think everyone with a fashion blog is just trying to matter, to be someone. and i don’t see anything wrong with that – even for people who make the traditional media are generally essentially doing the same, trying to make an impact or get noticed.

i don’t think of any as successful or otherwise, especially since opinions vary from person to person! but i will tend to check out a general few due to some kind of consistency by them in the pictures they post – especially that of which i agree with/ like or am attracted to.

some fashion blogs may pose as some form of opinion leadership in the fashion world which, in some cases, may affect the buying choice of some. in that way, if the influence is great enough, perhaps that is one definition of success? especially for fashion blogs which move themselves to the business aspects – since businesses are mainly about the profits, the ability to influence buying behavior would in turn bring about sales would eventually affect business profits.

user generated media may end up with what i would like to think as information overload but i guess it’s a good form since everyone sorta gets an “equal” opportunity to experience the same thing (virtual critics), gets provided with a platform for personal opinions to be voiced and read and all. as for the new turns, who can tell? but methinks the fact so many have their iphones and blackberries so close, such easy information access is bound to rev up the impact of leading opinions – which is why i think some of the more influential fashion bloggers are even invited to front row seats at fashion shows, which in turn brings about more perceived success by their readers. this success then inspires others to do the same too so i guess the story goes on.

p/s my grammar & all might be bad here and i’m so sorry for that. typing this half asleep, so forgive me yea! it’s like after 1am and i’ve been up for over 24hours already =)

feel free to give me your two cents worth!

posted about 9 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

there are a few that i frequent regularly. i like both blogs about celeb fashion as well as personal styles. my fave though has got to be tomandlorenzo!

posted about 9 years ago

franloiacono
Style_council
franloiacono

I have some blog that I often visit, but I think that everyone who aims to be a blogger (that means, I’m not referring to those as use a blog as a sort of personal diary), should think a lot before opening a blog, they should think what they can add, how they could make the difference…
Personally I like more Chictopia, and my Chictopia account is the only place where I post on the web… I like it more because it’s a community… :)

posted about 9 years ago

freespirit_fashion
Style_council
freespirit_f...

Great questions!

I like fashion blogs, especially those that showcase someone’s personal style. I think they are unique and inspiring. I guess by definition they are also a little narcissistic, since someone who runs a blog is basically promoting themselves and is assuming that they have great style that everyone wants to look at. But overall, I see running a fashion blog as a positive and empowering experience.

What makes a blog successful? I’d say having a lot of followers/readers and inspiring others through the personal fashion are what make a blog successful. I’m not sure how to get there, since I just started my own blog, but am having a hard time gaining a following. I comment a lot on other blogs to see what others are doing, and also to generate interest in my own blog. And I think chictopia is an excellent tool for getting recognized and inspiring people as well.

But I think it’s great that real people can have a shot at becoming fashion icons through various media! It’s refreshing to see regular people achieve that status, as opposed to celebrities and other people heavily involved in the fashion industry.

If anyone is curious, please check out my blog!
I just started it recently and would appreciate followers. =]

posted about 9 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

I love fashion blogs :) It’s more in-depth than Chictopia blogs I think and you can see more detail. I think it’s a good way to have your 15 minutes of fame.

To be successful you really have to put a lot of work and love into what you do. When you do that you get readers. Interacting with your subbies really helps too because you feel more accessible as a real person to them that way. I know I’ve made a lot of friends in the blogosphere and really learned a lot from others.

posted about 9 years ago

tribalfoxvintage
Style_council
tribalfoxvin...

I love blogs! it has opened my eyes to the many styles girls wear across the entire world! its very interesting! I love seeing the different cultures and different form of writing!

posted over 8 years ago

HOA1950
Style_council
HOA1950

I like fashion blogs for the most part. Some are better than others. I like how fashion blogs take their own spin to style. The opinions are not biased or politically based. The topics and posts are more genuine instead of a big PR campaign. Blogs are a fun alternative to fashion magazines.

posted about 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I like them—it’s good for reviews, inspiration, etc etc. Some can be narcissistic, and it shows in the type/quantity of photos that they take of themselves. And the poses too. Some of the poses can be awkwardly slutty lol.

posted about 8 years ago

Rayy
Style_council
Rayy

i lik to watch the good quality blogs and maybe learn something…but not all of the fashion blogs deal with class style and lets say ummm…fasion

posted over 7 years ago

RachelPheasant
Style_council
RachelPheasant

I personally have a hard time with fashion blogs that only document personal style via outfit photo posts. I like it when there is some editorial content or information provided by the author other than image content. That is what I aim for on my blog too: www.thecuratorial.com

posted about 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password