Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

I wrote this article for my blog, on how to shop politely:
http://www.addbubblestotaste.com/2008/10/how-to…
Anybody else have any peeves either working in a boutique or just shopping alongside rude customers?

posted almost 11 years ago
lynnisms
Style_council
lynnisms

I love that there are retail people like you who genuinely want to make everyone’s lives easier! Hopefully people learn some common courtesy and consider what you said, because it sure made sense to me. =)

Nikki
Style_council
Nikki

I genuinely believe that most of the time people don’t do these things to be disrespectful, but rather they just don’t know any better.
I had one girl come in yesterday that was looking for denim and didn’t want my help. Normally, to make it easy for everyone… we ask you want kind of look you’re going for (skinny, skinny-straight, skinny super long, straight, straight but high rise, boot cut, flare, bell bottom, wide legged trouser, cropped ankle)... She must have unfolded 45 pairs of jeans for me to fold back up because she “likes everything” and wanted to help herself.
I’m pretty sure she bought the wrong size too, and our jeans stretch out about a full size. If she wasn’t hell bent on NOT being helped, she would probably not regret the purchase. Oh, well… it’s her $225 loss and no, she can’t return worn merchandise ;)
Seriously though, if any of our shopgirl behavior is baffling… let me know. Usually, there’s an industry standard of doing things the way we do… so don’t be afraid to ask!

queenlazy
Style_council
queenlazy

I find posher shops kinda intimidating! I always feel like I’m bothering people by asking for something.

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

That is a very worthwhile post. From working in retail myself (though it’s not a high end store but I work by myself so it means having to be more alert to watching the clothes, putting things back neatly etc.) I agree that those thing listed are really annoying and rude from a retail staff’s point of view.

So many people come into the shop that I work in and don’t even bother to put clothing back on the hangers when they’ve finished looking at it, let alone actually put it back on the rails. I don’t get it, usually it won’t take any more than like 30 seconds to put something back, so why won’t people do it?

Working in retail has definetly taught me about respect for that sort of thing, and now whenever I go into any shop I’ll always hang/fold stuff back up correctly after I’ve looked at it and put it back exactly where I found it. I know the shop assistants are paid to do that sort of thing, but it doesn’t mean that customers should be lazy.

TheEchosAnswer
Style_council
TheEchosAnswer

I worked in retail, and my biggest pet peeve was clothes on the floor. I’d see people throw them on the floor and just step all over merchandise they were not going to buy.
I only disagree with point 2 because I want to unfold the check out an item fully in MY size. I can often eye something to generally tell if it will fit or not, and that way I bring the right size back with me to the dressing room…. or I can grab two sizes if I am unsure.
I also don’‘t trust sales people to pick out clothes for me. They don’t know my taste or style…especially since I go shopping in clothes that are basic and easy to change in & out of.

cindy
Style_council
cindy

I used to work in retail in a evening wear boutique and customers would come in, try dresses on and then chuck them on the ground of their changeroom! It was so annoying having to pick it all up again, smooth out all the wrinkles and hang them back up. I also agree with the coming in 2 minutes before the store actually closes thing, I try to be polite and just let them know we close in two minutes and they still walk around and take things to try on! Another pet peeve of mine is the lack of personal hygiene of some people. Seriously, some women come in with really bad B.O and then try a whole range on. Its gross, and the smell stays on the clothes.

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

STOP TRYING TO FOLD SHIT. YOU FOLD SHIT WRONG. LEAVE IT IN THE ROOM AND LET ME DO IT.

rainelyn
Style_council
rainelyn

ahahaha i always try to refold ..uh unsuccessfully.

twentyeight
Style_council
twentyeight

hahah i work in a boutique selling mostly australian labels (not located in aussie) and yes there are all these rude people around and i wish they’d see your post! it’d be nice if they would acknowledge us when we greet the customers!

carrotlove
Style_council
carrotlove

I don’t work in a boutique. I work at H&M, so everything gets much crazier. Basically, I’ve come to the conclusion that customers often do not care about anything, except for themselves, and their entertainment of shopping, so it doesn’t really matter.
I’ll be a nice, helpful associate, but when they bring 20 items into the fitting room, and leave it ALL in there, on the floor, then I don’t feel the need to be helpful anymore ;;.
BTW. I HATE little girls who go grab a bunch of things to try on for "dress up" and TRY to take pictures of each other ;;

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

“BTW. I HATE little girls who go grab a bunch of things to try on for “dress up” and TRY to take pictures of each other ”

I hate that too, it’s the most annoying thing ever, especially when someone who actually wants to buy something wants to use the changing room.
I used to find that happening so much so in the end I started telling kids that they couldn’t go into the changing rooms together and now I don’t get many kids come in unless they want to buy something.

stephanista
Style_council
stephanista

I agree with the size thing! I’m not a size 0, but a lot of people are. I would never go hold up the biggest size and say “who is this fat?” so therefore never do it the other way around. so tacky.

rainelyn
Style_council
rainelyn

i thought of this thread while shopping yesterday. i was VERY careful with choosing what i wanted to bring into the dressing room. : )

whitedayburnday
Style_council
whitedayburnday

Who gives a shit if I’m having a conversation on my phone? I bought a cell phone to use it and I’m entitled to use it wherever I damn well please, especially if it’s while doing something I particularly enjoy, like shopping.
As for the rest of them, they are just comon sense and etiquette for most any place. Don’t be rude, don’t fuck shit up, and be polite to the person who is serving you. They don’t deserve your crabby attitude if you had a bad day, so don’t take it out on them. (that is, the person working.)

kassndra
Style_council
kassndra

I avoid small shops like that altogether, for the reason that it is so nerve racking, intimidating, and a pain to deal with sales people:)

genna
Style_council
genna

:):) ^^ agree with the last two

dress
Style_council
dress

I tend to be a great shopper and always want to respect the people that work there. I remember going to an Old Navy out in Ohio once and oh my goodness, clothes on the floor EVERYWHERE. Granted, I really don’t think that they have enough hanger space for the stuff that they have out, but it’s crazy. There weren’t a lot of people working at the store which, is even worse considering all the folding and re-hanging you’d have to do, only to find it back on the floor the next day. :(

cortney
Style_council
cortney

It’s mean to say but I can’t stand it when I’m at a store and like 10 different sales associates come up to me asking if I need help with anything. I know its their job and shit but it can get really annoying.

posted over 9 years ago

babygurlpoint5
Style_council
babygurlpoint5

yeah it can def be annoying when a bunch of sales associates are coming up to you over and over again asking you if you need help with anything.

When I used to work at Forever 21, they told us that asking customers if they needed help, deterred shoplifting. Ever since I found that out, I am not only annoyed, but offended when too many people ask me if I need help with anything lol.

I had a negative experience once where I was shopping through a clothes rack and the sales clerk literally followed behind me and straightened every rack I had been at. Nothing was coming off hangers, everything was neat, but apparently she had organized it “just so”…. she would huff and sigh everytime I would move a bunch of clothes to the right or left and not move them back. It was really weird! It killed my apetite for shopping in that store again, i’ll tell ya.

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password