SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

In a kind of “You scratch my back I scratch yours” deal, I’ll help with your search for a particular item and post clothing I’m searching for too. I see specific searches on here, but I figured “Why not consolidate everything into one big ol’ thread?”

An example is below:

Where can I find cycling (bike) shorts? (An odd request, but it’s for a costume.)
Color: Black, solid
Size: M (27-28 inch waist), 4-6 inch inseam.
Price Range: $10 USD or less (I’ll go as high as $15 if I have to.)
other details: No crotch/butt area seat padding, please. These aren’t for the Tour De France.
If I don’t find this: I’ll have to cut off my lovely leggings :( or shell out $20 for American Apparel’s.

posted over 9 years ago
invigorate
Style_council
invigorate

You won’t find cycling shorts any cheaper than AA’s, and they’re good quality. If you go to Modell’s or a biking store, they’re likely to be even more expensive!

posted over 9 years ago

the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

I don’t doubt AA’s quality but…darn. I just don’t wanna spend $20 on shorts. I live in Cleveland where the summer theme park season is only 2 months, so they won’t get decent wear. (so…I won’t be getting my $ worth. that make sense?)

I found “boy shorts” for $6.50 at Forever 21, but the inseam is a bit short and I’ll have to get an XL since they’re technically for girls…and I’m not really 12 anymore. x.x

Anyway, how is the turnover rate @ AA? I haven’t bought anything through them directly, so I need to know if I have to get these now.

OH. I’m also looking for….
A small print black/grey houndstooth pleated skirt. (same costume!)
Color: Black & dark grey, smallest houndstooth print possible
Size: M, or anywhere from 6-8 (27-28" waist), Long enough to go to mid-thigh…so 13-16" long unless it’s very high-waisted.
Price Range: $20-25USD (if you can find it cheaper, even better.)
Other details: I couldn’t find what I wanted at Forever 21 they do have shorts in mini houndstooth though, so use that as a reference if you’re wondering how small.
If I don’t find this: off I go to the fabric store to attempt to make one. I don’t know the first thing about making pleats…oh boy.

posted over 9 years ago

invigorate
Style_council
invigorate

When do you need them for? AA generally keeps things in stock no matter how much they’re bought, but especially the cycle shorts with the lace are in hot demand for the spring/summer season (to be worn under a lot of high waisted things), but I think you’re safe not ordering them now.

posted over 9 years ago

xvavavava
Style_council
xvavavava

i have bicycle shorts that are not from AA—i got them at target a few years ago, and they were in the athletic wear section—and they were like $15

posted over 9 years ago

sakki89
Style_council
sakki89

Target have it. I not sure about the women section but the girl tight and legging section have it. I am a size 4 and I fit girl size xxlarge (16). It only $1.99+tax.

posted over 9 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I don’t live in the us but I think most department type stores like Target, Walmart, etc should have bicycle shorts, or cheap leggings that you can cut to make bike shorts. Just look in the active wear/exercise wear/athletics clothing section! If you really can’t find bike shorts, leggings are really easy to come by- they’re in pretty much every single chain store.
Otherwise try looking in thrift stores for both the shorts and skirt!

posted over 9 years ago

the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

I tried a Wal-mart already and all they had were leggings! I was so surprised. I already have leggings aplenty. But Target will be good to check I think…If not, I will venture into the Village Discount and spend a day rifling through their racks.

P.S.: These Items are currently for a costume due by the end of the month. I will call it…Project C.

posted over 9 years ago

the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

AHA! Wal-mart has the shorts online for $7.00! They run large, so I’m gonna get a small to be safe (if I can’t try them on @ another store). The last thing I want is baggy bike shorts. x.x

Project C Still needs:
Aforementioned Houndstooth skirt
Green LS Track Jacket (Yellow stripes would be nice too). ($20 or less please!)

posted over 9 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I buy cheap leggings and hem them, rather than destroying leggings I already like :) and I’ve been looking for a nice flouncy red skirt for summer, preferably a little high waisted, mid thigh length, within the twenty to thirty price range, any material :) I’ll tell you though, I’ve found that, with so many things I own that require leggings of some sort, i DEFINITELY get my money’s worth. That’s if you plan to wear the shorts outside the costume.
As far as the skirt goes…I looked and couldn’t find much in the gray black area for a shorter, pleated skirt but I did find this pencil skirt, although its not cheap…:
Skirt

I hope I was of some help, and I can’t wait to see results on my own skirt :) thank you in advance

posted over 9 years ago

Marinawilson
Style_council
Marinawilson

Hi, don’t worry about boots. You can get a large and wide collection of boots in different size and style that will suit you best. you can find it under one roof at http://www.armysurplus365.co.uk/.
army surplus

posted over 9 years ago

highimchrissy
Style_council
highimchrissy

Where can I find a velvet long sleeve dress other than American apparel? There long sleeve dresses tend to fit me tight no matter what size I get and I’m a small. I would love to get a black one and belt it with a skinny gold braided belt. Much appreciated!

posted over 9 years ago

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

highimchrissy: There’s a black velvet long-sleeved dress at UrbanOutfitters.com, small size available – on sale for $29.99 down from $48. I don’t know…the description says it’s meant to be tight, but it looks a bit looser than the AA version. I’d link it but the UO site is down for maintenance. Just search “velvet dress”, it should come up. Hope that helps!

the_ed: Wow, really hard to find a skirt that matched every requirement! Other than being too small, is something like this what you had in mind? Did find some other “almost, but not quite” skirts too.

Vintage black and white houndstooth skirt that looks like it may have started out pleated, but needs ironing. Definitely needs hemming if you want it short enough. $10

Grey and black houndstooth skirt that’s tiered, not pleated. Only medium size left, $26.99

LOL, I’ve exhausted my cheap shopping options. The other houndstooth skirts I found are in the $50-100 range, and in mini or pencil varieties only. :(

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password