Forum
SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
BradleighJewel
New_user BradleighJewel is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When BradleighJewel reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
BradleighJewel

I really want to buy items at thrift shores, but is it gross?

posted about 8 years ago
HouseOfAvant
Style_council
HouseOfAvant

I think they can be hit or miss sometimes. You just have to go in with an open mind and a lot of patience for rack diving! Consignment shops like Plato’s Closet are full of little treasures!

posted about 8 years ago

laurenkay
Style_council
laurenkay

loveee iitttttt. but consignment shops are def easier to shop in. I like that they are more organized and the clothes feel clean. I don’t like feeling like I need to shower after shopping. lol

posted about 8 years ago

Lambs
Style_council
Lambs

and proud I am, girl!

Good for you, glad you liked it. I’m sure you’ll be going back for more, haha

posted about 8 years ago

malloryasherr
Style_council
malloryasherr

LOVE thrift shopping!

posted about 8 years ago

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

depends on the thrift shops. the one near our area sells old but procey stuff which kinda makes me sad :s

posted about 8 years ago

KrystalGrace
Style_council
KrystalGrace

Thrifting is awesome, you can find great deals. You really just need a good eye for the right items.

posted about 8 years ago

DOMOnique
Style_council
DOMOnique

I used to be SO close-minded about thrift stores but now that I found chictopia and see that you can actually find cute clothes there I’m thinking about going, I haven’t had any time to go look through the one by me but I think thrift stores are cool. You can find cute, vintage clothes for a good price the only thing I’m iffy about is that they wore worn by someone I don’t know (kind of a germaphobic)

posted about 8 years ago

RayofSunshine91
Style_council
RayofSunshine91

I thrift all the time. I love it. Just don’t pick a sketchy thrift shop and it won’t be gross. And always wash the clothes before wearing…just to be sure but its def one of my favorite things to do.

posted about 8 years ago

THRIFTED_and_MODERN
Style_council
THRIFTED_and...

I am obsessed (clearly). Thrifting is the ultimate treasure hunt!

posted about 8 years ago

MyNiftyThrifty
New_user MyNiftyThrifty is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When MyNiftyThrifty reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MyNiftyThrifty

Oh gosh, major obsessed with thrift stores. I love love love and have for 30 years! All I wore in high school cuz I had no money and parents didn’t do the new clothes every year thing. Now I buy and resell vintage clothing from thrift stores. They’re the best! Not if you want something very specific though.

posted about 8 years ago

nidedia
Style_council
nidedia

i absolutely love thrifting!…its great for a lot of items..wether youre into vintage, retro, modern or just looking for essentials…thrift store usually (basically always) have something for you. Sometimes its overwhelming especially if youre new to thrifting, so give yourself time & imagination! theres a lot of potential to certain items so dont be afraid to try something new.

as for the gross part…i used to think that when i was younger, i thought it was gross by the look of the buildings and i knew they smelled..but once i started thrifting at 16 i fell in love! its kinda like treasure hunting (: you never know what youre going to find. trust me when you start finding gems you will fall in love too!

posted about 8 years ago

TheQueenofJackets
New_user TheQueenofJackets is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When TheQueenofJackets reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
TheQueenofJa...

I love them!

posted over 6 years ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

I adore charity shops!

Yesterday, I bought the most amazing beaded jacket and a pair of gold glittery ballet pumps. Score!

posted over 6 years ago

urbanvintij
New_user urbanvintij is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When urbanvintij reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
urbanvintij
posted over 6 years ago

urbanvintij
New_user urbanvintij is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When urbanvintij reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
urbanvintij

urbanvin-tij.com
urbanvin-tij.com
urbanvin-tij.com
urbanvin-tij.com
urbanvin-tij.com
urbanvin-tij.com
urbanvin-tij.com

posted over 6 years ago

MissMellalina
Style_council
MissMellalina

Gross? No way. Perhaps I think that because that’s all my mother ever got for me as a kid. I must’ve been about 12 before I actually got to go to a store and buy something new………….it was a pink jacket and I’ll never forget how excited I was. But now that I am older, I go to the thrift store just because that’s where you can find the most unique clothes. Just toss it in the wash before you wear it.

posted over 6 years ago

Jenny1
New_user Jenny1 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When Jenny1 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Jenny1

So many answers! I like thrift stores. I am a jewerly lover and I can always find some beautiful, antique jewerly like clip on earrings, necklaces from thift stores. Super love!

posted over 6 years ago

hictedy
New_user hictedy is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When hictedy reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
hictedy

i think it really depends on the store and the items you run into. maybe there will be things that you wish you hadn’t touched but you might also find an amazing gem. also, if you think about it you never know who tried on the clothes you’re trying on at stores selling new clothing either. eep!

posted over 6 years ago

jenniferelaine
New_user jenniferelaine is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When jenniferelaine reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jenniferelaine

It depends on the store. Depending on your town or the neighborhood you are in, yes, the store can be gross. I used to frequent a Salvation Army where the building was falling down and they had no AC, so in the middle of the summer I would be digging through the racks with sweat literally DRIPPING down my back.

By and large, this is not the case. The major chains have figured out that their clientele are split roughly between those who NEED lower price second hand clothing, and those simply looking for the thrill of a bargain, and they have raised the bar accordingly. Most shops are relatively clean and somewhat organized. The floor might be dirty, and you might see some fellow shoppers with questionable hygeine, but nothing will happen to you that a shower can’t fix.

posted over 6 years ago

thebodaciousblonde
New_user thebodaciousblonde is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When thebodaciousblonde reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
thebodacious...

be daring! you’ll never know what you may find!

posted over 6 years ago

marushka
Style_council
marushka

My clothes have always come from thrift shops (with a few obviously-excepted necessities). Many places wash clothing as it comes in – and some states require it. I’ve never caught anything except wonderful clothing finds… Obvious caveats: shoes you plan to wear without socks, swimwear: unless these items have clearly never been worn (and you can definitely find items with the store tags still on, as some retail outlets get rid of deadstock this way), don’t buy. Good luck, and have fun!

posted over 6 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

Thrift stores work for me when I am just seeing if I can find anything I might like. Just like taking a shot in the dark.
If I need something specific, i don’t bother with thrift cause chances of finding what i really need are too slim.
I don’t think it is gross to shop at thrift. Find something, but make sure and wash it before wearing is all. Thrift stores don’t wash things. They just look at stuff and if it looks clean, it gets tagged and onto the racks.

posted over 6 years ago

Cephaela
Style_council
Cephaela

Some of my favorite clothing has been from goodwill. And lots of thriftstores get their goods straight from retail. However yeah you should probably wash if you care about that( you never know your clothing’s life). You should examine your clothing thoroughly for imperfections, stains, and tears (sometimes people ‘toss’ them into thriftstores for this reason).
So long as you aren’t big on what labels your clothing have, it’s an awesome place to go. Though expect to dig a lot before you find what you want.

posted over 6 years ago

Off4thandGraham
Style_council
Off4thandGraham

Its not gross, but I would recommend washing the clothes before you wear them, you never know!

KimberlyLove.net

posted over 6 years ago

littlemiss_aly
Style_council
littlemiss_aly

Honestly. some of my best pieces come from thrift stores, my look is constantly changing and there is a variety of unique items every time I walk in!

http://dressingwithdesire.blogspot.com/

posted over 6 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password